Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Join the Chamber

I joined the local Chamber last week and went to my first leads group through them last Thursday.  I'm looking forward to joining the group and gaining more leads through them. 

Today I met a woman from a local newspaper who also happens to be a strong influence with the local Chamber.  She asked me if I was going to attend the Business Showcase and After hours this evening.  I really wasn't going to because I feel a little intimidated.  There are like 300 people at these after hours and I'm supposed to walk in there, alone, and just start talking to people.  LOL...

You see, as I was growing up, I've always been an extremely shy, bashful person.  So bashful, in fact, that my 3rd grade teacher thought I was too quiet and she was going to bring me out of my shell.  She  made me stand at one corner of the classroom while she stood at the other.  In front of all of my peers she made me yell across the room to her until she could hear me.  It took a while and it didn't work.  It did not bring me out of my shell.  Actually, I think I went farther into my shell.

When I attended high school, I would prepare my oral reports, only to chicken out when the teacher called on me.  I would rather take a zero than stand in front of my class and speak.

I've come a long way since those days but I still feel that little girl inside of me cringe each time I need to walk into a room alone or stand in front of a group of people, whether my friends or strangers.

So tonight, I'm taking a leap of faith, and will hold my head up high and just put one foot in front of the other.  I know that this will be great for my business and get my name out there, and that this step is needed in the promotion of my business.  So I'm gonna go for it.

Do you have a story similiar?  Fears from your past that still haunt you today?  I'd love to hear about them.

Below are the pics from my latest adventure.  My hubby and I went up into the mountains this past weekend to enjoy our Saturday.  The weather was cloudy and rainy and gloomy yet beautiful.  Enjoy!

Chow for now,
Corbie








No comments:

Post a Comment