Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Polar Express???

I recently took my first train ride.  But I'll back up just a bit.

My daughter is pregnant and due the first week of the new year.  I was actually expecting the weather to be snowy so we decided to travel by train.  You know, we thought it may be safer actually, and we wouldn't have to drive over Vail Pass in the snow. 

Any of you in Colorado know that the snow is late this year.  But anyway, when I told my mom how we were traveling here, she reminded me that when I was born, my grandmother took a train through the snow to be there when I was born.  So, of course, I stuck to my plan as a part of tradition.  My grandmother passed away 7 years ago, and I was very close to her, and thought this would just be a truly sentimental journey for me to travel the way she did (not) so many years ago.

The train ride was way cool.  My hubby and I hopped on the train at 10 am and traveled across Colorado.  What a fabulous trip.  The train was roomy and we weren't stuck in our seats for the whole ride.  We explored the train.  I couldn't help but think about the movie "The Polar Express" the whole time I was on the train.  (I recently saw the movie).  I have to say though, that I have never been in such a small rest room. 

We had lunch in the train's diner.  We were seated with another couple who was from Australia.  It was really interesting to chat with them over our lunch. 

The train makes several stops along the way, some of them my hubby had time to hop off for a quick smoke.  When we stopped in Glenwood, we both hopped off so that I could get some pictures.  Glad I did but wish I would've taken more.  That depot looks antique.  It was beautiful.

We spent most of our time in the observation car.  Big windows allowed us to see much of the scenery and get some pictures.  We saw lots of wildlife too.  Several deer and a bald eagle.  One deer that we came across actually was trying to cross the river and became frozen before it made it across.  Sad!  but odd!!

After it got dark, we made our way back to our seat before we picked up more people in Denver, that filled the train.  Then we had to listen to this one man who was obviously upset that there were children in the same car as him.  He asked the train attendant if he could do something about all the noise.  It was truly funny.  The attandant told him that there is just no way to turn a toddler OFF.  He still had a cow.

Then it wasn't long after that when our train trip was over.  10 hours after we got on.  It was a wonderful ride.  Can't wait to do it again.

Now that we are here, we're just waiting for my daughter to pop.  The next big adventure in this photographer's life.  I'll keep you posted.

Chow for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment